Wednesday, February 23, 2011

NICHOLAS COURTNEY 1929 - 2011


Recent news reports the death of the actor Nicholas Courtney, probably best known to genre fans for his portrayal of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart in Dr Who.


A regular in the series during the 1970's and 1980's he also made appearances in such fantasy television shows as The Avengers, The Champions and Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) as well as playing many other roles in a variety of television, radio and film.


The very epitome of the unflappable English officer, his portrayal of The Brigadier was, for me, one of the highlights of the Jon Pertwee years and I still shudder ever so slightly whenever I pass a shop window filled with mannequins, half expecting them to come to life a la the Autons.



1 comment:

  1. Aye, he'll be sorely missed. I'm just a tad too young to remember the Pertwee era (although I've caught many subsequent episodes on video and DVD) but I grew up reading the Dr Who novelisations, so the 'Brig' was always very much a presence. Another old soldier fades away...

    ReplyDelete